By Marlene Sweeter,
Lincoln County Auditor
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, the South Dakota Secretary of State’s Office is encouraging voters to vote by mail. On April 17, 2020, the Secretary of State’s Office began sending an Absentee Ballot Application to each registered voter in South Dakota at their registered mailing address. The process will take until April 24, 2020 to complete.
If you did not receive an Absentee Ballot Application from the Secretary of State’s Office, please follow these steps to receive an absentee ballot by mail:
FIRST – REQUEST AN ABSENTEE BALLOT. Using any ONE (1) of the following THREE (3) options will let you get a form to request an absentee ballot:
1. You can download the form to request a ballot from sdsos.gov OR
2. You can download the form from lincolncountysd.org, OR
3. You may call the Lincoln County Auditor’s Office at 605-764-2581 and they will mail you the form to request a ballot.
SECOND – ONCE YOU HAVE THE FORM to request an absent ballot, fill out the form and take ONE (1) of the following FOUR (4) options:
1. Have your signature notarized, OR
2. Attach a copy of a photo ID OR
3. Email a copy of your photo ID to firstname.lastname@example.org OR
4. Text your photo id to 605-359-4504.
THIRD - ONCE YOU HAVE THE FORM to request an absentee ballot completed and you have completed ONE (1) of the FOUR (4) options regarding signature/notarization/photo ID, either
1. Mail the completed form to request an absentee ballot to the Lincoln County Auditor, 104 N. Main, Suite 110, Canton, SD 57013, OR
2. Drop the form to request an absentee ballot in the locked, secure box labeled “DROP BOX” Located in front of the Lincoln County Courthouse next to the flagpole.
ONCE WE RECEIVE THE COMPLETED AND SIGNED APPLICATION, either notarized or if you have used one of the options with your photo ID as set out in “SECOND” above, we will mail a ballot to you.
FOURTH – Once you have received and voted your ballot:
1. Mail your ballot to the Lincoln County Auditor in the envelope provided for you OR
2. Drop your voted ballot in the locked, secured “DROP BOX” located in the front of Lincoln County Courthouse next to the flagpole.
FOR YOUR VOTE TO COUNT, MAKE SURE YOUR BALLOT IS IN THE LINCOLN COUNTY AUDITOR’S OFFICE BY 7:00 P.M. ON ELECTION DAY, JUNE 2, 2020.
If you have any questions as to whether you are registered or registered at the correct address, or any questions about the absentee process, please call the Lincoln County Auditor’s Office at 605-764-2581.
Please be safe and stay healthy!