top of page

Small fire becomes big trouble for local family

On Tuesday afternoon, Jan. 13, the combination of a young child’s curiosity, a lighter and a set of curtains proved disastrous for one young Lennox family.

Four-year-old Wyatt Gibson quickly realized the danger of the burning curtains and alerted his mother, VaNessa. But, once the flames made it to the plastic cover on the boy’s bed and jumped to the floor, “it was over,” she said. “I grabbed the phone and called 911.”

As she and Wyatt fled and encouraged the family’s two pit bulls to do the same, VaNessa was grateful she and her family had escaped unharmed. Wyatt’s older brothers, LaBobby Jr., 8, and Kristian, 7, were at school at the time of the incident.

But as firefighters from Lennox, Worthing and Chancellor arrived at the family’s residence, a mobile home within the Sunnyside Mobile Home Park, to provide assistance, the moment was bittersweet for VaNessa.

To read the entire article, login.

bottom of page