Lennox Commercial Club members have finalized plans for the Lennox Annual Old Fashioned 4th of July weekend. As always, the event just keeps getting bigger and better each year.
The weekend will begin with Cruise Night on Friday, July 3rd. This is open to everyone to come and cruise Main Street or to just come and watch the vintage vehicles as they make the loop on Lennox Main Street.
A street dance will be held on Friday night as well on the north end of Main Street. The dance will feature Judd Hoos and Dustin Evans and the Good Times Band. Gates will open at 6 p.m. for the dance. Advance tickets are now on sale at Sunshine and Total Stop Convenience Store for $10 each. At the gate the cost will be $15 per ticket. Proceeds from the street dance will benefit the Lennox Swimming Pool Committee.
On Saturday, July 4th the day will begin with a pancake feed at 7 a.m. at the Intermediate School Cafetorium (formerly known as the LWC Middle School). Serving will continue until 10 a.m. This event is sponsored by the basketball/football groups.
At 8 a.m. the Firecracker Road Race will begin. Registration for the race is now open. The cost for both the 5K and 10K races is $25 each. To pre-register visit https://runsignup.com/Race/SD/Lennox/LennoxFirecracker. A one mile and two mile will also be held. The cost to pre-register is $10. Pre-registration is available at the Lennox City Hall. The day of the race cost is $15. The Firecracker Road Race is sponsored by the Lennox Lions and the Lennox Area Community Fund.
After the race, the 4th of July Parade will begin at 10:30 a.m. Parade entries should be at the Sinning Sports Complex to line up by 9:30 a.m. The Lennox Firemen will once again organize the event.
Following the parade, the Arts in Park will be held at Westerman Park from noon to 5 p.m. and will feature craft and food vendors.
Other events will include:
• Live Music in the Park from 11:15 a.m. to 4 p.m. featuring the Hegg Brothers, Carolina Story and Burlap Wolf King.
• Car Show and Shine from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The cost to register for the car show is $10 in advance, $15 the day of show.
Call Tony Tripp at 605-951-8590 to register or for more information. This event is hosted by Operation Addy, a nonprofit charity.
• Bean Bag Tourney, 1 p.m. at the park basketball courts. Cost is $20 per team with cash prize payouts for first, second and third. You can register your team online at www.lennoxboosters.com. Raffles and refreshments will also be available for purchase with the proceeds to go to Lennox Athletics Booster Club and the Football Parents Group.
• Baseball Games—the American Legion baseball game will be held at the baseball diamond at 1 p.m. The Only One Amateurs team will play at 5 p.m.
• Classic Karaoke is a new event added this year. It will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the South Dakota Country Music Opry House & Museum, located at the corner of 2nd and Main.
• Lennox Area Museum at the corner of 3rd and Main will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Admission is free but donations are welcome.
• Lennox Municipal Band Concert will be held at 8 p.m.
• Fireworks will follow the band concert beginning at dusk. A great end to a great day!
On Sunday, July 5th the community will gather at the park for community worship at 10:30 a.m. Please plan to bring lawn chairs. A catered meal will follow. All are welcome to attend.
Also on Sunday, the Lennox Firemen will have their annual water fight at the Fire Station, located at Juniper Ave. and 2nd. You are welcome to come and cheer on your favorite team.